Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Milestones

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c6e2c8c495&view=att&th=126fd7fa8817792b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=file0&zwThe last days of January I took ill.  Very ill.  Intensive Care Unit for days ill.  I was in the hospital for 10 days in a country where insurance companies see to it no one stays in the hospital longer than 2 days that says something.  I missed 2 weeks of work and the third week was a school break for everyone, lucky for me, because I needed that time to rest and go to what felt like too many doctor's appointments.

So first off, I am fine now.  However, during that time I missed some milestones.  Such as this blog's 1000th post and 600,000th visitor.  Turns out iPads for Our Rooms, written when I was ill but not quite ill enough to go to the hospital yet, was the 1000th post.  The 600,000th visitor happened sometime in the past 48 hours or so.  I hope you enjoyed your visit whoever you were!

Another milestone, this one I didn't miss, was yesterday was my 34th birthday.  It turned out to be quite an excellent birthday as it was also my first day back in the classroom after 3 weeks of being away.  My wonderful co-workers remembered a tale I told them about a favorite kind of ice cream cake and managed to track one down a state away for us to enjoy!  Lack of a freezer in the classroom meant we enjoyed our little party at nine in the morning as the fridgid New England temperatures they we counting on to keep it frozen in a car truck weren't going to cut it.

Even better though, perhaps the best gift, was just being back with my students.  One student came in off the bus and gave me the biggest, most loving and welcoming series of smiles I have ever seen!  That my friends, is why I teach.  (Even if that smile was far surpassed when I let her "taste" the fudgy ice cream cake later!)

9 comments:

  1. Ditto that, Kate, and a belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Cake sounds wickedly good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* that they went to such efforts to get you your childhood favorite! I remember Fudgey the Whale! :-)

    Happy Belated Birthday! And welcome back. So glad you are ok now. You had us worried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are better.

    Belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also very glad to see you back. I was worried about you. Interesting as I live in Canada yet I am a very regular reader of your blog. Interesting how we can feel attached to a person we have never met, but through your blog you present yourself as a loving caring person of students who need that type of person.
    I was talking to my speech and language pathologist the other day and said ... what do you mean you do not know about this blog. Here I go telling everyone who will listen about your blog.
    Take care and rest up ... it always takes longer to recover than we realize.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is anyone aware of closed captioning devices that may be free standing and modifiable depending upon the viewers vision needs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to have you back! Was worried about you also!
    eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm clearly late in catching up on blog posts. So sorry to learn you were out of commission, but delighted that you are well again. I'm impressed by all that you've already accomplished and contributed for such a young woman! --Paul

    ReplyDelete

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet